The Apostolic Nunciature in Uganda was set up after diplomatic relations between the Holy See and the Republic of Uganda were formally entered into on 2nd September 1966. Before this date the Catholic Church in Uganda was under the Apostolic Delegation of Kenya. The Apostolic Delegates, resident first in Mombasa, then in Nairobi, were:
- His Excellency Msgr. Arthur HINSLEY, 1930-1934
- His Excellency Msgr. Antonio RIBERI-McCARTHY, 1935-46
- His Excellency Msgr. David MATHEW, 1946-1953
- His Excellency Msgr. James Robert KNOX, 1953-1957
- His Excellency Msgr. Gastone MOJAISKY-PERELLI, 1957-59
- His Excellency Msgr. Guido DEL MESTRI, 1959-67
The first Papal Representative to Uganda after the establishment of diplomatic relations was appointed on 6th August 1967. Up to 1999 the Representative of the Holy Father in Uganda was known by the title of "Apostolic Pro-Nuncio"; since then he carries the title of "Apostolic Nuncio". The following is the complete list of Papal Representatives to Uganda:
- His Excellency Msgr. Amelio Poggi, Tit. Arch. of Cercina 1967-1969(Italian)
- His Excellency Msgr. Luigi Bellotti, Tit. Arch. of Voncariana 1969-1975(Italian)
- His Excellency Msgr. Henri Lemaître, Tit. Arch. of Tongeren 1975-1982 (Belgian)
- His Excellency Msgr. Karl-Josef Rauber, Tit. Arch. of Giubalziana 1982-1990 (German)
- His Excellency Msgr. Luis Robles Díaz, Tit. Arch. of Stefaniaco 1990-1999 (Mexican)
- His Excellency Msgr. Christophe Pierre, Tit. Arch. of Gunela 1999-2007 (French). Born 29th January, 1946
- His Excellency Msgr. Paul Tschang In-Nam,Tit. Archbishop of Amantia August 27,2007 - [Korean] Born Oct 30, 1949.
His Excellency Most Rev.Michael A. Blume, S.V.D
On 2 February 2013, Pope Benedict XVI appointed His Excellency Most Rev.
Michael A. Blume, S.V.D. as the new Apostolic Nuncio to Uganda.
Until his appointment as Apostolic Nuncio to Uganda, Archbishop Blume has been Apostolic Nuncio to Benin and Togo. Born on 30 May 1946 in South Bend (Indiana), United States of America, he was ordained religious priest for the Society of Divine Word (S.V.D.) on 23 December 1972.
The new Apostolic Nuncio to Uganda holds a Bachelor's degree in Mathematics and a Doctorate degree in Theology from the Pontifical Gregorian University, Rome. Immediately after his doctorate studies, he was assigned professor of Theology at the Regional Seminary in Cape Coast, Ghana from 1975 to 1983. Then he became Provincial Superior of the Society of Divine Word (S.V.D.) in Ghana, Benin and Togo from 1983 to 1990 after which he was appointed Secretary General of the Society in Rome from 1990 to 1994.
On 1 April 1995 he started working at the Pontifical Council for Pastoral Care of Migrants and Itinerant People, Vatican City. On 6 April 2000 he was appointed Under-Secretary of the same Pontifical Council. Then on 24 August 2005 he was appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Benin and Togo.
The Pope's new Ambassador to Uganda, aside from English, is also fluent in Italian and French.
His Excellency Msgr. Paul Tschang In-Nam
His Excellency Msgr. Paul Tschang In-Nam was born on October 30, 1949 in Seoul, South Korea, and he was ordained to the priesthood on December 17, 1976 for the Diocese of Cheongju, South Korea.
He concluded ecclesiastical studies obtaining a Doctorate in Theology, and entered Diplomatic Services of the Holy See on May 1st,1985. From 1985-2002, he served as a Diplomat of the Holy See, in the capacity of Secretary and Counsellor in the Apostolic Nunciatures of El Salvador, Ethiopia, Syria, France, Greece, and Belgium.
After working at the Vatican Secretariat of State, he was named Titular Archbishop of Amanzia and Apostolic Nuncio to Bangladesh on October 19, 2002. Pope John Paul II consecrated him a bishop on 6th January, 2003.
August 27,2007 he was appointed Apostolic Nuncio to Uganda. He arrived in the Country in November 2007.Hits: 3859