Tororo Diocese

Welcome to the Archdiocese of Tororo! Find on this website information about the history of the diocese, its bishop, the main functions in the diocese, diocesan statistics, religious communities of men and women with their respective addresses, other institutions including seminaries, catechetical centre, hospitals and health centres, parishes, centres with resident priests, diocesan and relgious priests with their dates of ordination

BRIEF HISTORY
The Story of the Archdiocese of Tororo is closely linked with the development of the Vicariate of the Upper Nile.  This Vicariate was established by Pope Leo XIII in 1894 and entrusted to the Mill Hill Missionaries.  It comprised the area stretching from St. Peter’s Church, Nsambya (Uganda) to St. Patrick’s Church, Naivasha, (Kenya). Its subsequent history can be looked at in four phases.
    The first phase (1896-1924) saw the building of mission stations in East Buganda, Busoga, Bukedi, Bugisu and Teso.
    The second phase (1925-1950) was marked by the creation of the Vicariate of Kavirondo (later Kisumu) in 1925, thus cutting off the Kenyan portion of the Vicariate.  Beginning in the 1930s, there was an increase in the number of people asking for Baptism, to which the Mill Hill Missionaries responded by sending more priests and brothers and doubling the number of parishes.  The Vicariate also began to harvest the first fruits by the ordination to the priesthood of the first African priests in this area, namely, Fr. John Eneku (1939), Fr. Philip Odii (1939), Fr. Raphael Kajengo (1940) and others.  Then in 1948, the Vicariate was further divided into two Vicariates. The Vicariate Apostolic of Kampala was under Bishop Billington, resident in Nsambya.  The remaining section was formed into the Vicariate Apostolic of Tororo, under Bishop John Reesinck.
    The retirement of Bishop Reesinck and the succession by Bishop John Greif in 1951 begins the third phase (1951-1968).  The Vicariate was formally erected into the Diocese of Tororo in 1953.  This period saw the building of many new parishes, schools, convents, hospitals and dispensaries and a growth in the Catholic population.
    On the death of Bishop Greif in 1968, Bishop James Odongo, took over the reins of the diocese, beginning the fourth phase.  Since that time, many more parishes have been opened and many indigenous priests ordained.  In 1981, the Diocese of Soroti was created, comprising of the then districts of Kumi and Soroti.  Fr. Erasmus Wandera was named the first Bishop of Soroti.
    On 2nd January 1999, the Holy Father erected the Ecclesiastical Province of Tororo, elevating to the rank of Metropolitan Church, the Diocese of Tororo, and assigning to it the dioceses of Jinja, Kotido, Moroto and Soroti as suffragans.   He appointed Bishop James Odongo as first Metropolitan Archbishop of Tororo.
    On 27th of June 2007, the Holy Father accepted the resignation of Archbishop Odongo and appointed Bishop Denis LoteKiwanuka as the Second Metropolitan Archbishop of Tororo.

    On 1st of January, 2014 the Holy Father accepted the resignation of Archbishop Denis LoteKiwanuka and appointed Most Rev.  Dr.  Emmanuel Obbo,  A.J.  as the Third Metropolitan Archbishop of Tororo.

 

GEOGRAPHICAL LOCATION     

The Archdiocese of Tororo comprises the civil districts of Busia, Budaka, Bududa, Bukwo, Bulambuli, Butaleja, Kapchorwa, Kibuku, Kween, Manafwa, Mbale, Pallisa, Sironko and Tororo.  The main tribes that live in the Archdiocese, are the  Bagisu, Bagwe, Bagwere, Bakenye, Banyole, Basamia, Iteso, Jopadhola, and Sabiny (Sebei).  Consequently, there are several languages spoken, and those approved for liturgy are Ateso, Dhopahola, English, Kiswahili, Kupsabiny, Luganda, Lumasaba and Lusamia-Lugwe.

BISHOPS

The Most Reverend Archbishop Emmanuel Obbo

The Ordinary, Rt. Rev. Emmanuel Obbo, AJ was born in Nagongera Parish in Tororo (Archdiocese of Tororo) on 7th Oct. 1952.

He was ordained priest of the Congregation of the Apostles of Jesus (AJ) on 13th Dec. 1986 in Nagongera Parish. He was appointed second Bishop of Soroti Catholic Diocese on 27th June 2007.

He was ordained Bishop and installed as the second Ordinary of Soroti Catholic Diocese on 6th Oct. 2007. Currently he is the Apostolic administrator of Soroti.

The Holy Father accepted the resignation of Archbishop Denis Kiwanuka of Tororo, and appointed him to become the new Archbishop of Tororo. Archbisop Obbo also remains the Apostolic Administrator of Soroti until further notice.

The installation of the new Archbishop of Tororo took place in March 2015  at Uganda Martyrs Cathedral - Nyangole, in Tororo.

BISHOPS IN RETIREMENT

The Most Reverend Archbishop Emeritus Denis Lote Kiwanuka

was born on 25th March 1938 at Pallisa. He was ordained a priest on 19th Dec. 1965 in Tororo. Elected First Bishop Kotido on 8th June 1991, he was consecrated a Bishop on 19th August 1991.

On 27th of June 2007, the Holy Father appointed Bishop Denis Lote Kiwanuka, the Second Metropolitan Archbishop of Tororo.

Archbishop’s House,
P.O.Box 632
TORORO, UGANDA
Tel: 04544-45526 or  0772-525182, Fax: 04544-45255

 

Archbishop Emeritus
The Most Reverend James Odongo was born on 27th March 1931 at Molo, on Tororo-Mbale road. He was ordained a priest in Rome on 22nd Dec.1956. Elected Titular Bishop of Baana and Auxiliary Bishop of Tororo on 25th Nov. 1964. He was consecrated Bishop on 16th Feb. 1965, and appointed Bishop of Tororo on 16th August 1968. He became the First Metropolitan Archbishop of Tororo on 2nd Jan. 1999. On 27th June 2007 the Holy Father accepted his resignation from the pastoral care of the Archdiocese of Tororo

ADDRESS
Archbishop Emeritus’ House,
P.O. Box 933, MBALE - UGANDA
Res.Tel :+256454434264
Fax : 04544-33754
E-mail: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Statistics

Functions

Parishes

Priests

Institutions

Seminaries and House Formation

Important Telephone contacts

Hits: 6895