Welcome to the diocese of Jinja! Find on this website information about the history of the diocese, its bishops, the main functions in the diocese, diocesan statistics, religious communities of men and women with their respective addresses, other institutions including seminaries, catechetical centre, hospitals and health centres, parishes, centres with resident priests, diocesan and relgious priests with their dates of ordination
At the time of its creation, the diocese of Jinja covered a civic area then known as the District of Busoga. It stretches from Lake Victoria in the South, Lake Kyoga in the North, River Nile in the West and River Mpologoma in the North East, making Busoga almost an Island. Now, the region of Busoga although remaining the same, has been subdivided into seven civic districts of: Jinja, Kamuli, Iganga, Bugiri, Kaliro, Namutumba,and Mayuge.
This diocese was originally part of the Vicariate of the Upper Nile and later, of the Diocese of Kampala. It was first evangelised by the Mill Hill Missionaries from 1899 onwards after a short-lived attempt by a couple of Missionaries of Africa (1889-1890).
On the 5th of August 1966 the new Diocese of Jinja was created, being cut off from the former Diocese of Kampala and the See of the latter being transferred to Jinja.
Rt. Rev Charles Martin Wamika
The Rt. Rev Charles Martin Wamika was born on 12th August 1953 in Budaka.
He was ordained a priest on 22nd September 1979. On 18th October 1993, he was lected Titular Bishop of Tacape and Auxiliary Bishop of Tororo he was consecrated a Bishop on 19th February 1994.
On 2nd March,2010, the Holy Father appointed him as the Second Bishop of Jinja.
P.O. Box 673
Administrative block: .......0434-122347
Fax: .................... 0434-123143