hi therebishop1.pngbishop10.pngbishop11.pngbishop12.pngbishop13.pngbishop15.pngbishop16.pngbishop18.pngbishop19.pngbishop2.pngbishop20.pngbishop21.pngbishop24.pngbishop25.pngbishop26.pngbishop27.pngbishop3.pngbishop30.pngbishop32.pngbishop33.pngbishop34.pngbishop35.pngbishop36.pngbishop4.pngbishop5.pngbishop51.pngbishop53.pngbishop54.pngbishop55.pngbishop7.pngbishop8.pngbishop9.png

ARCHDIOCESE HISTORY

The present Archdiocese of Kampala is the result of territorial changes:

 a. Victoria Nyanza Vicariate (1883)
The Vicariate Apostolic Victoria Nyanza was established by the Holy See in 1883 and was entrusted to the Missionaries of Africa commonly known as the White Fathers. Rubaga became the seat of the Bishop.

 b. Upper Nile Vicariate (1894)
On July 13, 1894, the Holy See erected the Upper Nile Vicariate dividing it from Victoria Nyanza Vicariate and entrusted it to the Mill Hill Missionaries. Nsambya became the seat of the Bishop of that Vicariate. The name of Victoria Nyanza Vicariate was also changed to Vicariate Apostolic of Northern Victoria Nyanza.

 c. Vicariate Apostolic of Uganda (1915)
After the erection of Vicariates in territories beyond the Nile on the southern side, the name of Northern Victoria Nyanza Vicariate was changed to the Vicariate of Uganda on Janaury 15, 1915.

 d. Vicariate of Kampala
On June 10, 1948, the name of Upper Nile Vicariate was also changed to the Vicariate of Kampala which later became the Diocese of Kampala in 1953.

 e. Archdiocese of Rubaga (1953-1966)
The Catholic Hierarchy in Uganda was established on March 25, 1953 and the Vicariates of Uganda became the dioceses of Uganda. Rubaga became an Archdiocese with 5 suffragan dioceses namely; Gulu, Masaka, Kampala, Mbarara and Tororo. The first Archbishop of the Archdiocese of Rubaga was Archbishop Louis Joseph Cabana WF (1947-1960) who died in retirement in 1981. He was succeeded by Archbishop Dr. Joseph Kiwanuka(1960-1965)

f. Archdiocese of Kampala (1966-)
On August 5, 1966, the Holy See joined together a section of the Diocese of Kampala and the Archdiocese of Rubaga to create the Archdiocese of Kampala. It was covering most parts of Central Uganda. His Grace Emmanuel K. Nsubuga (later Cardinal) was consecrated on 30th October 1966 to become the first Ordinary of the newly created Archdiocese of Kampala. He was elevated to the rank of Cardinal on 24 May 1976. He retired on 8 Feb 1990 and died on 20 April 1991. He was succeeded by His Eminence Emmanuel Cardinal Wamala (1990-2006). Since then, three other new dioceses have been created namely: Kiyinda-Mityana (August 21, 1981), Kasana-Luweero (December 16, 1996) and Lugazi (December 16, 1996).

 THE LINE OF SUCCESSION TO THE SEE OF FORMER RUBAGA DIOCESE (CATHEDRAL AT RUBAGA)

 The Rt. Rev. Leon Livinhac, W.F. (1883-1890)
The Rt. Rev. Jean Hirth, W.F (1890-1894)
The Rt. Rev. Guillermain, W.F. (1895-1897)
The Rt. Rev. Henry Streicher, W.F. (1897-1933)
The Rt. Rev. John Forbes, W.F. (1918-1926) (Co-adjutor)
The Rt. Rev. Edward Michaud, W.F. (1933-1945)
The Very Rt. Rev. James Smith, W.F. (1945-1947) (Pro-Vicar)
The Most Rev.Louis Joseph. Cabana W.F. (1947-1960)
The Most Rev. Joseph Kiwanuka, W.F. (1961-1966)

 THE LINE OF SUCCESSION TO THE SEE OF THE FORMER KAMPALA DIOCESE (CATHEDRAL AT NSAMBYA)

 The Rt. Rev. Henry Hanlon, MHM (1894-1911)
The Rt. Rev. John Biermans, MHM (1912-1924)
The Rt. Rev. John W Campling, MHM (1925-1937)
The Rt. Rev. John Reesinck, MHM 1938-1947)
The Rt. Rev. Vincent Billington, MHM (1947-1966)

 THE LINE OF SUCCESSION TO THE SEE OF THEARCHDIOCESE OF KAMPALA

His Eminence Emmanuel Cardinal Nsubuga (1966-1990)
His Eminence Emmanuel Cardinal Wamala (1990-2006)
The Most Reverend Dr Cyprian Kizito Lwanga (2006-)

Counter